Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chili Mac and Cheese

In our family, the preferred way to use up chili leftovers is to turn the chili into mac and cheese. My mom used to do this all the time when I was little, and I've carried on the tradition. We had just the right amount of chili left from Saturday's dinner to make a delicious, comforting, creamy pile of mac and cheese. I guarantee you that if you try this, it'll become a favorite in your family too!


Chili Mac and Cheese
Source: family recipe

1 box cavatappi (or your preferred short pasta)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Leftover chili (my chili recipe is here)

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add cavatappi and cook until al dente, 8 or 9 minutes. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add flour and stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute. Add milk and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and add sour cream and cheese.

3. When cheese is thoroughly combined in the sauce, add leftover chili directly to the cheese sauce and stir. Heat through.

4. Pour chili-cheese sauce over pasta and stir to combine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...My...Goodness.
I wish I could eat dairy without being violently ill. My oh my... I've never seen a dish so full of dairy yet so tempting. I think I must have a thing for comfort foods ;)

Amazing!

-Susanne

Tina said...

I have go to stop visiting this site lol. YUMMMY!!

Kara said...

You can so make this vegan as well.

Anonymous said...

gross

dishlicious said...

Would love to make this tonight. How much leftover chili do you use?