Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cabbage and Noodles

It's an aquired taste. But if you grew up like I did, with a Hungarian grandmother who served this all the time, and her son (your father) followed in her footsteps and made it once a week, you'd love it too. My husband thinks it's all right, nothing really special, but he puts up with it because he knows how much I enjoy it. Cabbage and noodles is Eastern European comfort food, and the smell of it reminds me of my childhood. All the bacon grease renders it completely unhealthy, but in this case I don't really care all that much. This is definitely one of my favorite meals to make, because it reminds me of everything that represents home.


Cabbage and Noodles
Source: my grandmother

Half of a 1-pound bag of egg noodles
Half a head of cabbage, chopped
Half a package of bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add egg noodles and cabbage and boil until noodles are cooked. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, add chopped bacon to a skillet over medium heat and cook until crispy. Add noodles and cabbage to bacon and grease and toss to combine. Add salt to taste (you probably won't need much, since the bacon's salty) and lots of black pepper.

1 comment:

mamadana said...

This is one of my FAVORITE comfort foods! I don't make it very often because it's so sinful, but love it when I do.