Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Foil-Baked Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches


My love for all things chicken parmesan-related is still going strong. I recently saw someone pin a sandwich completely unrelated to this one, which was wrapped in foil and grilled on the grill. Immediately the wheels started turning in my brain, and once I started thinking about a chicken parmesan sandwich wrapped in foil and baked in the oven, I couldn't get it out of my mind until I made it. Happily, it was every bit as good as I'd imagined it would be.


When I was at Aldi on Friday evening, I found a pepperoni marinara seasonal cheese that I just had to buy. I thought it would be perfect for these sandwiches, and it was. The best way I can describe this cheese is by telling you that it tastes like pizza. It tastes exactly like pizza. I know not all of you have an Aldi nearby, but if you can find a cheese similar to this, I highly recommend it. I could have eaten the entire block with just crackers and wine. If you can't find this cheese, I'd go ahead and add a layer of pepperoni to the sandwiches for a little extra kick.

These sandwiches are just fantastic. Breaded chicken, marinara, tons of gooey cheese, and sweet basil...oh goodness. It just doesn't get much better.

Foil-Baked Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches

4 thin chicken breast cutlets
1 egg, beaten
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup prepared marinara sauce, divided
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup sliced pepperoni marinara cheese (or just pepperoni slices if you can't find the cheese)
8 basil leaves
4 hoagie rolls
4 sheets heavy-duty aluminum foil
Cooking spray

1. Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese; dip cutlets in egg, then in bread crumb mixture. Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, cook the chicken cutlets until browned and crispy.

2. Spray each sheet of aluminum foil lightly with cooking spray. Add the bottom of a roll to each sheet. Top each with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, a chicken cutlet, 1/4 cup of marinara, the pepperoni marinara cheese or pepperoni, and two basil leaves. Add the roll top. Wrap loosely, being sure all of the edges are sealed.

3. Cook sandwiches on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before unwrapping.

3 comments:

Felix Lee said...

I think parmesan makes everything taste better so this instantly caught my attention. I've never made myself a foil-baked sandwich before. Looks like this will be the first time. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

This sandwich looks phenomenal!! My mouth is watering!

Anonymous said...

These are so great! Thanks so much! Making them for the 2nd time tonight for company!