Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Roasted Potato Tacos


Sites like Tastespotting are solely responsible for making me hungry, even while I’m eating my lunch. I can often be found eating lunch at my desk while I browse the site, and as I’m eating my plain old turkey sandwich, my mouth is watering for a hundred other things. Like these roasted potato tacos. As soon as I saw them, I was smitten.

I love roasted potatoes – I mean, who doesn’t? – and I thought spicing them up with Mexican seasonings and eating them as tacos was absolutely genius. The potatoes have really great texture that works well in the tacos, and the flavor is wonderful. With some rice on the side, this was a satisfying, budget-friendly meatless meal. It was also a great lunch for me the next day, and I didn’t even lust after something else while I was eating it. :)

Roasted Potato Tacos
adapted from Handle the Heat

4 to 5 red potatoes, coarsely chopped
1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped (I used orange)
1 medium sized onion, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Flour tortillas
Sour cream
Shredded pepper-jack cheese
Cilantro

1. Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Combine potatoes, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and oil. Toss until potatoes and other vegetables are well coated in oil and spices.

2. Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet and place on the middle rack in the oven. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and browned.

3. Spread the mixture on tortillas and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro.

One year ago: Smoky macaroni and cheese. This was a good one. I need to make this again soon.

2 comments:

Anna Hibbard said...

I've saved this to my recipes and will be trying it ASAP!

Julie said...

Sounds like a wonderful flavor combo!