Monday, September 26, 2011

BBQ Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad Wraps


I generally enjoy cooking dinner for my family during the week, believe it or not, which I’m sure makes me different from lots of working moms. Very rarely do I see cooking as a “hassle.” I don’t mind coming home, getting my sons settled in with coloring books or a cartoon (or an apron, if they feel like helping) and beginning the process of making dinner. I think it helps that I always plan our meals, so I almost never have the sorts of nights when I stand in front of the cupboard and wonder what in the world I’m going to make.

But then sometimes I have a really long day, and nothing goes right from the instant I open my eyes in the morning, and I am counting the seconds until bedtime (the boys’ and mine). And on those days, I’m glad I have recipes like this chicken salad in my cooking arsenal. It comes together really quickly from ingredients I always have on hand, and it’s an absolutely delicious lunch or dinner. You can make it ahead of time or make it the night you serve it, but either way it takes almost no time at all. I think we’ve established by now that the chicken/bacon/ranch combo is one of my favorites, so when you add those things to cheese and BBQ sauce? Well, in my book, you can’t possibly go wrong.

BBQ Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad Wraps
adapted from Krista’s Kitchen

2 cups shredded white meat chicken
4 slices bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled
2 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup ranch dressing
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour tortillas, warmed

Combine all ingredients except for tortillas. Top each warmed tortilla with some of the chicken mixture. Wrap and serve. (You could also put some baby spinach in the wraps, which I think would be delicious in combination with the other flavors.)

3 comments:

Allison said...

It's becoming more and more obvious that I need to do some batch cooking and get a bunch of shredded chicken cooked up. I can't stomach the price of a rotisserie on a regular basis but I do think meals would come together more quickly (and will less grumbling from me) if I had that on hand more often. This looks yummy!

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Seriously yum! I hate traditional chicken salad and my husband is always complaining that I never make it. Making this VERY soon!

Anonymous said...

I think my family would love these. What kind of BBQ sauce do you like to use?