Friday, April 8, 2011
Burger and Fries Friday: Chipotle Bacon Cheeseburgers
Well, it certainly did take its sweet time getting here, but I think it’s safe to say that spring has finally arrived in my part of the country. The trees are starting to bud, the grass has turned from brown to green, and the birds are singing on a regular basis again. In our house, spring also means the return of grilling season -- something that my husband looks forward to all through the long, cold winter. Earlier this week, he came to me with a pile of cookbooks dog-eared with grilling recipes he wants to try this year. His excitement is so adorable -- and it’s contagious, too.
This would be the perfect burger to grill, because it’s already so smoky with the chipotle and bacon that the grill would enhance the smokiness in magical ways. I made them in a regular skillet this time, but I can’t wait to try them on the grill. This is one of the most flavorful burgers I think I’ve ever made, and both Joe and I absolutely loved them. They have the perfect amount of spice, which is balanced nicely by the creamy avocado. You could top these with guacamole, too, which would probably make them taste even better.
Rachael Ray had this nifty little tip on one of her shows about storing and using chipotle in adobo: Freeze the leftovers in a plastic bag, and then use a grater to add the frozen peppers directly to your recipe. Although I’ve been freezing leftover chipotle in adobo in ice cube trays for a while, I like that this method doesn’t require any thawing or any real work on my part. Anything that helps me be lazy is a winner in my book, so I’ve been using chipotle in adobo a lot more often lately. :)
Try these burgers -- I think you’ll love them!
Chipotle Bacon Cheeseburgers
1 pound ground beef or turkey
Half of a red onion, grated
1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo puree
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
Salt and pepper to taste
8 strips of bacon
4 slices colby-jack cheese
1 avocado, pitted and mashed
1 tablespoon sour cream
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked to desired crispness; set aside on paper towels to drain.
2. Meanwhile, combine beef, onion, chipotle in adobo, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper and egg in a large bowl. Mix gently until fully combined, then separate into four equal patties.
3. Cook patties in bacon grease until cooked through. Top with cheese and let the cheese melt.
4. Meanwhile, combine mashed avocado, sour cream, lime juice, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
5. Top burgers with bacon and avocado mixture.