Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mexican Biscuit Pizzas

This is (yet another) of those “Why didn’t I think of that?” sorts of recipes. It never occurred to me before to roll out a biscuit and use it as the crust for an individual-sized pizza. But now that I have this method in my repertoire, I can guarantee you I’ll be using it a lot. Andrew’s daycare lunches are about to get much more exciting!

In this particular version, swiped from the trustworthy Pioneer Woman, the “flatbread” base is topped with refried beans, salsa, seasoned ground beef and tons of cheese to make a pizza that tastes just like a taco. Unfortunately I didn’t have all of the ingredients for pico de gallo immediately on hand, or I would have put some of that on top of these too. But as it was, we thought salsa, sour cream, and hot corn dip were the perfect toppers for these delicious, simple little pizzas.

I think this is a great recipe for a gameday spread because it’s so adaptable. You could make a ton of the biscuit crusts and sit out assorted toppings to make a fun and easy pizza bar for your guests. But be sure you present this version as one of the options, because I guarantee you that your guests will love it!

(Oh, and one other item of note: These hold up surprisingly well as leftovers. We had them again for lunch the next day.)

Mexican Biscuit Pizzas
adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks!

1 can large biscuits (not flaky!) (8 biscuits per can)
1 14.5-ounce can refried beans
3 tablespoons salsa
1 pound cooked, taco-seasoned ground beef or turkey
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Lettuce, pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream, or cilantro for serving

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Flour work surface and roll out each biscuit until very flat. Brush very lightly with olive oil. Bake for 8 minutes, or until starting to turn golden. Remove from oven and set aside.

2. Mix refried beans with salsa. Heat on stovetop.

3. To assemble, spread refried beans over each flattened biscuit. Top with plenty of beef. Sprinkle shredded cheddar over the top. Return to oven for 3 minutes, or until melted and bubbly. Top with desired toppings and serve.

Print

6 comments:

Allison said...

Insert growling stomach. Can you hear it from where you are?

Seriously.

Keri said...

I saw these on PW and wondered how the crust would work. Glad to know it's so good! I'm heading to my kitchen to add these to the menu now:-)!!

Debbie said...

Now that's look different and delicious!

Monica H said...

I made a bisctuit pizza once before but thought it was too doughy. I'm now realizing that I didn't roll them out at thin. Yours look paper thin!

Allison said...

Made this last night and it was yummy! Probably would've been better if I'd had the patience to actually roll them out as thin as they should've been...but it was delicious anyway :)

leana said...

you are killing me. that. looks. so. good. xo