Friday, December 18, 2009

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf

So, yeah. I'm writing about meatloaf. Just basic, old-fashioned meatloaf, just like the one your mama made. I'm posting this recipe because even though I've only made it once, I already know that it's going directly into our regular dinner rotation. I think everyone needs a "basic" meatloaf recipe. My mom's cajun version is my absolute favorite meatloaf, but every once in a while I just crave that sweet, ketchupy topping. And this meatloaf fulfills that craving perfectly.

This is a Paula Deen recipe that I discovered through Jessie. This meatloaf reminds me a little bit of my mom's standard version, but she used celery and breadcrumbs instead of green peppers and oats, and she didn't use tomatoes. I love the addition of tomatoes and think they really add a lot to this recipe. I like the use of the oats, too, because I think they make the meatloaf less dense than breadcrumbs would. The best thing about meatloaf is that it's so adaptable -- you can throw in whatever you have on hand and even make mini loaves out of it, and it's easily doubled for freezing. This is my new go-to "basic" meatloaf recipe!

(By the way, some Christmas-related recipes are coming up next week -- promise!)

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
source: adapted from Food Network

1 pound ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Mix beef, salt and pepper, onion, bell pepper, egg, diced tomatoes, and oats well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.

3. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Spread over loaf. Bake for 1 hour.

7 comments:

Sonya said...

I seriously love meatloaf! I think it sometimes gets a bad wrap. I love the sweet tangy glaze and I espically love leftovers! I usually make a cold meatloaf sandwich the next day. Im going to for sure and try this version!

TheRoosterChick said...

Meatloaf is a family favorite here. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Debbie said...

This is my favorite meatloaf recipe! I have posted the same one last year...It is soooo good! My husband loves Paula Deen and found this recipe and it's been the only one I make now when I make meatloaf.....Looks great Cassie!

Deborah said...

Meatloaf is one of the few things that my husband doesn't like. But he told me the other day that he'd try it if I made it, so I need to get some made!

omsai said...

Here you can find the list of the hotels which are there in india india hotel india, hotel in mumbai, Goa, Kolkata, Agra, Gujarat, Jaipur, Delhi

Philip said...

It's a traditional and old fashion way of preparing foods, hostels do the same.

Rio Pousadas

Ellen Whiten said...

Mine Is In The Oven Now! It Smells A-mazing!