Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Breakfast Casserole

I wanted to post the recipe for our traditional Christmas breakfast casserole last year, but I forgot to take a picture of it, so I vowed to post it this year. But what do you know, I forgot to take a picture of it AGAIN, so the only photo you get is one of my son eating it:

It was the first year he was able to enjoy this breakfast with us (last year he was only 7 months old), and I'm pleased to report that he absolutely loved it!

I think every family has their own traditional Christmas breakfast. Growing up we always just had eggs, toast, and bacon or sausage on Christmas morning, but once I moved in with Joe I started making this casserole. I've adapted the original recipe quite extensively over the years, and Joe starts looking forward to eating this at the beginning of December. I only make it once a year -- it just wouldn't be as special for us if I made it more often -- but it would make for a delicious, hearty dinner any night of the year. It can easily be prepped and stored in the refrigerator a day or two ahead, which makes it perfect for holiday or weeknight cooking.

Christmas Breakfast Casserole
source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes

1 package breakfast sausage links
1 cup milk
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package frozen potatoes O'Brien, thawed
1 package petit diced ham
1 package frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower in cheese sauce, thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Eggs, cooked your preferred method, if desired

1. Brown sausage according to package directions until done; slice into 1-inch pieces.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine milk, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Stir in potatoes, ham, vegetables and cheese sauce, and shredded cheese.

3. Add mixture to a Crock pot sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cook on low heat 6 hours, or until hot and bubbly (I always turn it on before we go to bed on Christmas Eve, and by the time we wake up it's perfect.). Top with eggs, if desired.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I actually can't think of what we had on Christmas growing up! But Josh and I started a tradition of having fried scones on Christmas morning. This was the 3rd year for us. He looks forward to Christmas just for the scones!

Sonya said...

He's a cutie!!! You know what I already love about this recipe? there's no bread in it. For whatever reason I cant stand the soggy bread in breakfast casseroles. I lvoe french toast wich can get soggy but not in a casserole..go figure..lol