Friday, April 10, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Tenders

I love buffalo wings. I mean, really, who doesn't? I love that spicy, buttery sauce and the way the breading and sauce on the chicken sticks to my fingers while I'm eating the wings. Wings are one food you just can't eat neatly. They're also not the healthiest thing to eat, which is why we don't have them very often. But when I saw this recipe pop up on A Taste of Home Cooking, I knew I had to make these buffalo chicken strips for dinner. They're made with chicken tenders, which makes them a little less unhealthy, and they're a lot less messy to eat.

I increased the amount of sauce since we like our wings saucy, and I served the chicken tenders with a store-bought buttermilk ranch dressing for dipping. Crispy French fries completed our casual dinner, but these delicious strips could easily be served in smaller portions as an appetizer. I'll definitely be making these again. Over and over again, if Joe has anything to say about it.

Buffalo Chicken Tenders
Source: adapted from Everyday Food; originally seen on A Taste of Home Cooking

1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup hot sauce (I am a firm supporter of Frank's Red Hot; I believe it is superior to any other hot sauce, but by all means use whatever you want)
3 tablespoons melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet, and transfer to oven.

2. Place flour and buttermilk in separate medium bowls; season flour with salt and pepper. Set out another rimmed baking sheet alongside. Dip chicken in buttermilk (allowing excess to drip off), then in flour (shaking off excess); place on sheet.

3. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Working in batches, fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to rack in oven to keep warm.

4. In a large bowl, stir together hot sauce and melted butter. Add chicken, and toss to coat. Serve tenders with blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.

1 comment:

Donna-FFW said...

oh yes, my kids would be all over this.. am so bookmarking this also. THANK YOU!!