Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekly Meal Planning, Week of 2.8.10: The Triumphant Return!

William will be a month old tomorrow (already!), and now that we're easing into the beginnings of a routine and have burned through (no pun intended) most of the meals I froze before his arrival, it's time for me to start meal planning and cooking on a regular basis again. For the past week or so I've noticed myself slipping back into the "What should we have for dinner? Let's just get take-out" way of thinking, which isn't good at all. I really want to focus on healthier homemade meals for my growing family this year.

Since I'm still on maternity leave and haven't been able to access the internet as much as I would if I were at work, the next few weeks will include some recipes from my cooking magazines. That's definitely a good thing -- too often I overlook recipes in my magazines in favor of something I saw online. This will make me feel like I'm actually getting my money's worth out of my subscriptions!

My goal is to eat vegetarian at least twice a week from now on. I don't think I could get Joe to commit to more than that at this point. He grumbles about the cost of meat, but he grumbles just as much when I serve him a meal without it.

Monday: Mushroom turnovers, mixed greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette

Tuesday: Roast chicken with balsamic bell peppers, roasted potatoes

Wednesday: Cheesy lasagna rolls with spinach and ricotta, garlic bread (Please note: I love the Whole Foods Recipes iPhone app!)

Thursday: Pulled chicken suiza sandwiches, tortilla chips

Friday: Chili, by Joe's request.

Saturday: Chili cheese dogs, French fries. Typically I make chili mac with our leftovers, but chili dogs sound incredibly good to me right now.

Sunday: It's Valentine's Day, and we'll be celebrating with dinner out (followed by a hotel stay made possible by overnight childcare). I can't wait!

And I promise I won't make you look at a picture of him in every single post, but I just have to show you a photo of the almost one-month-old today because I just can't believe how cute he is:


4 comments:

Sonya said...

Cassie you totally need to post pictures of him in every single post! lol he's so adorable. The time sure flies by doesnt it..I cant believe he's already a month old!

Debbie said...

He is sooo cute Cassie! I can't believe how organized you are - already back to menu planning! That's wonderful! It probably does make life a lot easier.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

What an adorable little boy. Congratulations and enjoy.

You are a wonder woman to be eating like your menu shows. It took me months to get my act together after a baby.

Cara said...

I can't believe it has been a month already!! So glad to see you back and posting menus. I'm very curious to see what meatless dishes you come up with. That's something I've been wanting to try as well, but my guy doesn't eat many veggies and doesn't consider it a meal if doesn't have meat!

Your plans for Valentine's Day sound amazing!