Friday, June 28, 2013

Minion Cupcakes


You guys all know what happens next week, right? Hint: The event that I’m thinking of doesn’t involve fireworks, parades, or cookouts. It does involve a villain with a really long nose and some adorable little yellow guys that do his bidding. That’s right: Despicable Me 2 comes out next Wednesday, and in our house, I think it may be generating more excitement than the upcoming Fourth of July festivities. And not just with my kids! Joe and I are equally excited about this movie, if not more so!


My boys love the first movie so much that I actually made these cupcakes for Will’s birthday, back in January. I thought this would be the perfect time to share them. Needless to say, they were a huge hit with all of the kids that had one, and I’m pretty sure they’re the cutest cupcakes I’ve ever made. There’s no real recipe involved here, and while they do take some time to make, they’re not difficult at all. I used two boxes of Twinkie-like sponge cakes, so I ended up with 16 minions.

Trust me, the little minions in your life are going to love these!

Minion Cupcakes
inspired by tons of pins on Pinterest

1 box cake mix
Water, oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Prepared vanilla frosting
2 boxes Twinkies (or equivalent)
Black decorating gel
Melted semi-sweet chocolate
White M&Ms (available in the bulk candy aisle)
Chocolate sprinkles

1. Bake cupcakes as directed on box. Frost each cupcake with a layer of frosting, frosting more heavily in the center. Reserve about 1/4 cup of frosting.

2. To make the minions, slice each Twinkie in half cross-wise. Tint the reserved frosting gray with the decorating gel. Place a dot of the now-gray mixture on the back of two M&Ms and place them in the top middle of a Twinkie to make the minions’ eyes.

3. Place the melted chocolate in a plastic bag and use it to pipe the frames of the glasses, the eyeballs, and the mouth.

4. To make the minions’ hair, gently press individual chocolate sprinkles into the top of the Twinkies.

5. Place a minion upright in the center of each cupcake.