Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Warm Greek Chicken Wraps with Roasted Tomatoes


I think lots of people probably have a cuisine that they crave every once in a while, and for me that cuisine is Greek. I crave it often, and there are times that I just can't get it out of my mind until I eat it. Here lately I'm craving it once a week, so Greek-inspired meals have appeared on our meal plans frequently.

These wraps are one of my recent creations and man, are they delicious. Tzatziki sauce, Greek-seasoned chicken, olives, feta, and roasted tomatoes...I couldn't ask for more out of a meal. The roasted tomatoes take these wraps to another level with their sweet flavor and soft, slightly charred texture. They're absolutely perfect with the tangy bite of the feta cheese.

You could use kalamata olives for these wraps, which I think would be delicious, but I used green olives since they're the only kind my husband likes. (We buy Lindsay brand, and he eats them like candy.) Possibly the best thing about this meal, aside from how delicious it is, is that it comes together in just about 15 minutes, so it's a perfect weeknight dinner.

Warm Greek Chicken Wraps with Roasted Tomatoes

For the tomatoes:

1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

For the tzatziki sauce:

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 clove garlic, pasted
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

For the wraps:

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Greek seasoning
Feta cheese, crumbled
Olives, chopped
Flour tortillas

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a foil-lined baking sheet, mix the tomatoes with the vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast for 20 minutes, or until the skins have burst.

2. While the tomatoes are cooking, combine all the ingredients for the tzatziki sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Refrigerate until serving.

3. Season chicken on both sides with Greek seasoning. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a medium skillet; add chicken and cook, turning once, until chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove to a cutting board and let the chicken rest while the tomatoes finish cooking. Slice the chicken thinly.

4. Spread a layer of tzatziki sauce on a flour tortilla and top with chicken, roasted tomatoes, feta and olives.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Oh man, I am constantly craving Mexican food. Seriously. I go hit up a taco truck a few times a month (side note, does the rest of the country have taco trucks? I have 7 between my house at the highway alone).

So my love of Mexican is definitely intrigued with this odd Greek taco thing. Hmm.