Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Southwestern Ranch Chicken Clubs


So what do you guys have planned for Valentine's Day? Anything special? Joe and I got the obligatory restaurant dinner out of the way last weekend, so we're planning on having a quiet night in with the boys. That is my favorite kind of Valentine's Day, honestly. Going to a restaurant on the holiday itself has never been an enjoyable experience for me, due to the crowds. I am not a fan of crowds, at all, ever, in any situation. Heck, going the weekend before Valentine's Day was bad enough!

After more than 12 years with my husband, I have definitely found the way(s) to his heart: video games and food. If I get him something involving video games and make him a delicious dinner, he'll be a happy man. When I made this sandwich for him recently, he went completely ga-ga, and I'm pretty sure eating it made him fall in love with me all over again. He even called me from work the next day after he had the leftover sandwich for lunch to rave about how delicious it was. That is unprecedented!

In his defense, there certainly is a lot to love about these sandwiches. Ranch-seasoned chicken, cheese, bacon, tomato, avocado, and a creamy sauce made of ranch dressing, sour cream, lime and cilantro...sounds amazing, right? It definitely is. You should make them and see for yourself!

Southwestern Ranch Chicken Clubs

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
8 strips bacon, cooked to desired crispness
4 slices colby-jack cheese
8 slices of tomato
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
1/2 cup prepared ranch dressing
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime, divided
Bolillo rolls (or rolls of your choice), split and toasted

1. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Combine ranch mix, chili powder and cumin and sprinkle evenly over the chicken.

2. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate and cover with foil while you prepare the other sandwich components. (Note: Something in the ranch dressing mix makes the chicken get pretty brown, so if that bothers you, you can easily bake the chicken instead. I'd do 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cutlets.)

3. To make the sauce, mix together the ranch dressing, sour cream, cilantro, and juice of half a lime. Use the remaining lime juice to dress the avocado to prevent browning.

4. To make a sandwich, layer a piece of chicken, one slice of cheese, two slices of bacon, two slices of tomato, and a few slices of avocado on a roll bottom. Drizzle with sauce and add the roll top. The devour and revel in your husband's praise. ;) 

4 comments:

Katie said...

You make some of the most tantalizing dishes. Did I spell that right? LOL

I seemed to have misplaced my desire to cook and be creative in the kitchen. I hope it comes back soon so that I can whip this up for the hubby and myself.

Nicole said...

I made these on the fly tonight and had to substitute some ingredients but my hubby walked in and was intrigued by all the different smells in the kitchen. They definitely turned out awesome!

Allison said...

I decided to make these this week and when I got to the grocery, there were bolillo rolls (something I'd never heard of) on manager's special. Is it fate or what?

Allison said...

These were delicious!! The whole family loved them and I loved all of the flavors put together. I don't think that the cheese is necessary and we didn't even eat half of the ranch sauce, but I can't complain about anything. It was so good!