Monday, November 12, 2012

Scalloped Sweet Potato Stacks


I first tried these scalloped sweet potato stacks at my cooking club's monthly meet-up in August. Our theme was Southern food, and one of my friends brought these since sweet potatoes are so synonymous with the South. They were so delicious that I proceeded to eat more of them than I care to admit, and I couldn't get them out of my head after that. I finally had to ask her for the recipe so I could make them myself.

Sweet potatoes are often paired with sweet ingredients, which is undoubtedly a delicious way to eat them, but I really love them when they're savory as well. In this recipe, sliced sweet potatoes are paired with cheese, garlic, thyme and cream and baked in individual portions in a muffin tin for a simple yet sophisticated side dish. They're endlessly adaptable with whatever cheeses and herbs you like (I used mozzarella for some, and cheddar for some), and they just taste fantastic. They'd be a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table -- or just to your dinner table on any day of the year.

Scalloped Sweet Potato Stacks
adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen

1 1/2 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided 
1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese, divided
2/3 cup heavy cream 
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer half of sweet potatoes in a lightly greased 12-cup muffin pan. Sprinkle with a light layer of salt. Then sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining sweet potatoes. (Potatoes should come slightly above the rim of each cup.)

2. Microwave cream, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme for 1 minute. Pour cream mixture into muffin cups (about 1 tablespoon per cup).

3. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.

4. Let stand 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around rim of each cup, and lift potato stacks from cups using a spoon or thin spatula. Transfer to a serving platter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I saw it on Pinterest. I love non-cheese scalloped potatoes and think I will try them that way. Thanks for the great idea!