Monday, October 4, 2010

Apple Week: Apple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Muffins

As I mentioned yesterday, I thought it would be fun to do a whole week of apple recipes this week. I know most food bloggers’ minds automatically click to “pumpkin” when October arrives, but indulge me for a week, all right? And get ready for some delicious apple-y treats!

I bookmarked this muffin recipe last fall, but I never got around to making it. Needless to say, I never forgot about these muffins, and they were the first thing I wanted to try this year. And I’m so glad I finally made them, because these muffins are so good. Based on some of the Allrecipes reviewers’ comments, I amended the recipe a bit, and the result was a moist, flavorful, sweet and tangy and spicy muffin. They made a great on-the-go breakfast, and we all really liked them. I’ve since seen a similar muffin recipe I’d like to try (I really love the streusel topping on them), so if I try them I’ll let you know what I think.

Apple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Muffins
adapted from Allrecipes

3 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice
1 cup peeled, diced tart apples

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy, then add eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla; beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon or apple pie spice; stir into cream cheese mixture just until moistened. Fold in apples.

2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Print

10 comments:

Leigh said...

this has been added to my "need to bake asap" list! they look so good! and I am glad you are doing apple recipes and not pumpkin, I have a million pumpkin recipes but not too many apple recipes! I just love all things fall!

Allison said...

These look delicious...and I'm totally with you on your love of cream cheese :)

What kind of apples did you use? I'm really bad at picking out apples to bake with....

Holly said...

Delicious looking muffins!!!

Cassie said...

Thanks ladies! Allison, I used Granny Smith. Any time a recipe calls for "tart baking apples," good old Granny is my go-to!

Natalie said...

These sound great! Last week I made caramel apple nut bars and now I'm kind of on an apple kick too :) Can't wait to see what else you feature this week!

Deborah said...

I love that you love muffins as much as I do - and these look like a real winner. Can't wait to see what other apple recipes you post!

Cara said...

Hooray for Apple Week! I wish I could say I was more of an apple "expert" but I'm not. These muffins look delicious! Can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us this week.

Taylor said...

I have been seeing lots of apple recipes lately and this one definitely tops the list....I love the cream cheese in them!

Debbie said...

I'll be having lots of apples here within the next few weeks after we go apple picking. This is one that I'd love to try. I get lots of my recipes from allrecipes and love the fact that it has all the reviews that are so helpful. I think it's great you can rate the recipe too...

Monica H said...

I made pumpkin pancakes this past weekend, but I've been in apple mode too. I love cream cheese in anything and this look really moist and tasty.