Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos

I have a confession to make: I love, love, love frozen taquitos. I love them. We always have a box in the freezer, and whenever I'm feeling lazy and unmotivated they're one of my go-to meals. I've never made them from scratch, though, because I try to avoid deep-frying as much as possible (it's so messy, and more importantly so unhealthy). When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try these. All the deliciousness of a homemade taquito, without the mess of deep-frying? Sign me up!

These were delicious and turned out nice and crispy, just as they would have had they been fried. They were super easy to make, especially since I made the filling ahead of time. We dipped 'em in this dressing and were both very, very happy.

Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos
Source: Our Best Bites

1/3 cup (3 ounces) cream cheese
1/4 cup green salsa
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (I used garlic powder)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons sliced green onions (I used finely-chopped red onion)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup grated pepperjack cheese
Small corn tortillas
Kosher salt
Cooking spray

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

2. Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds so it's soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

3. Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking.

4. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges, and roll as tightly as you can.

5. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp with golden brown ends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo YUM!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I ran across this blog randomly and these taquitos sounded so tempting. I made them last night and we LOVED them! Thank you so much for a great recipe. Any dish that my husband can't stop raving about is a sure keeper!

Jennifer Sestak said...

These are AMAZING! I made a few adjustments just based on ingredients I had on hand and we loved them so much I just make them that way every time. Thanks for sharing!