It's September, so we gotta talk apples. This seems like the perfect time to tell you about this pie, which I am ashamed to say that I made one entire year ago. It's truly heinous that I haven't shared it with you before now, because it's insanely delicious. I made it last fall after our trip to the apple orchard, and since we're planning another trip soon, this pie has been on my mind. It will be happening again in my kitchen very, very soon.
This pie. Oh, this pie. It's like a cross between pecan pie, apple pie, and cheesecake, all in one delicious slice. I don't really know what I need to say beyond that. I actually probably didn't need to say anything, right? I think the photo says it all. Apple-y, caramel-y, creamy deliciousness.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie
slightly adapted from Ezra Pound Cake
For the crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 cup chopped pecans
For the apple filling:
5 apples, peeled, cored, sliced very thin (I used Rome; you could really use whatever cooking apple you like)
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cream cheese filling:
8 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
For the topping:
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. For the crust: In a medium bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate and up the sides. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color. Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely.
3. Pour caramel into pie shell, and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate pie shell while making apple filling.
4. For the apple filling: In a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples and stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell.
5. Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
6. For the cream cheese filling: In a medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell.
7. Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
8. Top with whipped topping and caramel. Refrigerate any leftovers.