Whoa, has it really been two weeks since my last post?! That was completely unintentional, and can be attributed to nothing more than sheer laziness on my part. I've still been cooking, taking photos, and eating -- it is just the actual blogging part I've been slacking on. Rest assured that I have tons of great recipes to share with you in the days/weeks to come!
Here's one of those great recipes for you right now. What's better than chicken parmesan? Chicken parmesan that also has breaded zucchini in it. My family went nuts over this meal, which really isn't shocking, because what's not to love?
Yeah, there are a few steps involved with breading and frying, and it dirties a few dishes, but we've come to the time of year when comfort food is king and this is definitely worth the time and mess. The flavor is just phenomenal, and I'm really kicking myself for not adding breaded zucchini to chicken parmesan before now. I'll definitely be doing it most (if not all!) of the time from now on. Not only is this dish delicious, it's really cost-effective to...so it's a win-win for me.
Chicken and Zucchini Parmesan
inspired by Simple Bites
1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, divided, beaten
1/2 pound chicken breast tenders
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 jar prepared marinara sauce
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Pasta for serving, if desired
1. In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Divide the breadcrumb mixture evenly between two shallow dishes. Place the beaten eggs in separate bowls (one in each bowl).
2. Heat an inch of olive oil in a large skillet. Dip the chicken tenders in one of the eggs, then in one bowl of the breadcrumb mixture. Cook over medium heat until browned and crispy. Remove to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
3. Add more olive oil to the same skillet, if necessary, and heat over medium heat. Dip the zucchini slices in the other beaten egg, then in the other bowl of breadcrumbs. Cook until browned and crispy, then add to the baking sheet with the chicken.
4. Drain the oil from the skillet and use a paper towel to wipe it clean. Add the marinara sauce to the skillet and heat through. Add the reserved chicken tenders and zucchini in an even layer, spooning some sauce over the top. Top evenly with mozzarella cheese and cover until the cheese melts.
5. Serve with pasta and additional parmesan cheese.