Friday, July 26, 2013

Roast Beef Reubens


Every time I make a double-duty meal using my Crock pot, I ask myself why I don't do it every single week. The idea of shoving a roast in the Crock pot and having dinner for at least two nights just gets more and more appealing to me, the older our boys get and the crazier our lives become. Not to mention the cost-effectiveness of Crock pot cooking! Yes, I really must do this more often.

I made a version of this roast beef for my brother for his birthday (minus the condensed soup and gravy mix, plus some sherry), and I whipped up these roast beef reubens for dinner for us the next night. They couldn't have been simpler, and we all loved them. The roast beef is a great stand-in for a reuben sandwich's traditional corned beef; it has such a rich flavor that works so well with the Swiss and sauerkraut. 

And not only were these sandwiches delicious; they also took less than five minutes to prepare. Somehow, that made them taste even better.

Roast Beef Reubens

8 slices hearty wheat or rye bread
Butter
2 cups prepared roast beef, heated through
8 slices Swiss cheese
1 cup prepared sauerkraut
Prepared Thousand Island dressing

1. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat.

2. To build the sandwiches, place a slice of Swiss cheese on the unbuttered side of a slice of bread. Top with 1/2 cup of the roast beef, 1/4 cup of sauerkraut, another slice of Swiss, and the other slice of bread, with the unbuttered side in. Repeat with all sandwiches.

3. Cook sandwiches on the preheated griddle, flipping once, until both sides are browned and crispy. Slice sandwiches in half and serve with Thousand Island dressing.

No comments: