Monday, September 10, 2012

Skillet Penne with Chicken and Broccoli


I don't have a lot to say this morning. I'm still trying to recover from a trip to Kings Island yesterday with my kids. Going to an amusement park with kids is fun, but also absolutely exhausting. I have a new appreciation for what my parents must have gone through when they took my brothers and sister and me!

So, today: a meal that speaks for itself. I absolutely love meals like this. The ingredients are so humble, but the flavor is just outstanding. The pasta soaks up the rich broth, which packs it with delicious flavor. This meal is also pretty healthy, and since it all cooks in one pot, the clean-up is a breeze. My kids loved it, and so did Joe (after he squirted it with about half a bottle of Red Hot; I swear, that man puts hot sauce on everything!). I may need to make this tonight, because I certainly don't have the energy for anything more involved!

Skillet Penne with Chicken and Broccoli

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces penne pasta
8 ounces broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for serving

1/ Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken in a single later and cook, without stirring, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Stir chicken and continue to cook until nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.

2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to now-empty skillet and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in wine and simmer until nearly evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in water, broth and penne. Increase heat to medium-high and cook at a simmer, stirring often, until penne is nearly tender, about 12 minutes.

3. Stir in broccoli and cook until penne and broccoli are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, along with any accumulated juices and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Glad you liked it! I love those one-pot meals. I'm kinda sorta excited for meals like this once fall officially arrives.