Friday, September 7, 2012

Triple Layer Mocha Brownies


Is it just me, or do four-day work weeks always seem longer than regular work weeks? I love a good holiday weekend to be sure, but the four days of work preceeding or following it always seem to drag on and on. So I'm definitely glad it's Friday, because I'm ready for the weekend for sure. I'm definitely feeling tired today. Granted, this could have something to do with the fact that I had two glasses of wine last night then stayed up past my bedtime giggling over the corny joke app on my phone (Q: What does a vegetarian zombie eat? A: Graaaaains. Come on, that is comedy cold, people!), but I'm tired nonetheless.

I've already enjoyed my customary cup of coffee this morning, but I think I could use another one...or maybe one of these brownies. There's coffee in every layer, so I think one of these would be enough to propel me through the rest of the day.

These brownies are absolutely delicious: dense and chocolaty with the perfect coffee flavor. Coffee and chocolate complement each other so well, and it just doesn't get better than these brownies.

Just for fun, leave me your favorite corny joke in the comments!

Triple Layer Mocha Brownies
adapted from The Curvy Carrot

For the brownies:

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, cooled
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

For the coffee buttercream:

1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee, cooled
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

For the chocolate-coffee ganache:

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee, cooled

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. To make the brownies: In large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, vanilla and coffee. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to batter and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

3. To make the coffee buttercream: In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), beat the coffee, cream, and butter on medium speed. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If the mixture is too thin, add more powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments. If it's too thick, add more coffee until it reaches the desired consistency. Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled brownies.

4. To make the ganache: In a small saucepan, heat the coffee, cream and the chocolate chips over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth and slightly thickened. Let cool to room temperature before frosting. Once smooth, frost the brownies with the chocolate ganache.

2 comments:

gluten free products said...

lace one brownie square in a wide bowl. Top with one scoop of ice cream vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate, coffee. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce and sprinkle with Spanish peanuts.

aki said...

ice cream shop near me
a simple and delicious way to be the star of the show. With a blast of LN2 (liquid nitrogen), watch your liquid treat become a frozen dessert right before your eyes! This kit comes with everything you need to make 20 servings of ice cream & contains recipes for milk shakes, ice cream open near me , sorbets and more.