Thursday, August 2, 2012

BLT Gyros


A month or so ago, a bunch of food trucks set up shop right in front of my office building, for one day only. To say I was like a kid in a candy store is a complete understatement. I was incredibly, dorkily excited about it, and it took me forever to decide what I was going to try. New York-style pizza? Duck tacos with fresh cherry salsa? A cheeseburger with two grilled cheese sandwiches as its bun? So many options!

I ultimately decided a BLT pita from the pita truck, and I was so happy with my choice (although I still want to try that burger...). It was loaded with bacon and generously drizzled with a creamy, delicious sauce. I went home and raved to Joe about it, who told me I should try to duplicate it at home. He just confirmed what I was already thinking.

I adapted the food truck pita in a few ways. While the pita had shredded mozzarella, I chose feta instead. And I used a traditional tzatziki sauce. For the tomatoes, I used some sweet little yellow guys from a friend's garden that were just bursting with flavor. These were absolutely delicious, and such a fun new spin on a BLT.

BLT Gyros
inspired by Pitabilities

12 slices bacon
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
Shredded lettuce
Feta cheese
4 pitas or flatbreads

1. Cook bacon to desired crispness; drain on paper towels.

2. Spread a layer of tzatziki sauce on each flatbread. Top each with lettuce, three slices of bacon, some of the tomatoes, and a sprinkling of feta cheese.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Bacon! No matter what "they" say, it will never get old. Looks so good! Such an awesome idea. The switch to feta is awesome, too. (That DUCK would have been my choice! One of my most favorite things in the world.)