I've made these creamy chicken taquitos dozens of times now, and my entire family just loves them. So when I saw a version of them that incorporated BBQ sauce, I was instantly in love with the idea. I was even more in love with them when I tasted them! These taquitos are so delicious -- creamy, cheesy, and smoky, with a crispy outer shell that doesn't even require any frying. The filling can be made ahead of time, so these are perfect for a busy weeknight. Even the boys enjoyed them, so I'm happy to say I'll be making them frequently in the future!
BBQ Chicken Taquitos
adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake
4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon brown sugarSalt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
8-10 6-inch flour or corn tortillas
Ranch dressing and/or BBQ sauce for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, BBQ sauce, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper, red onion, green onions, and cilantro until all are fully incorporated. Add in the chicken and cheese and stir gently to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper and more BBQ sauce if needed.
3. Place 3 to 4 tortillas on a microwaveable plate, slightly spread out but overlapping. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
4. Fill each tortilla with approximately 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling and roll tightly. Place each filled tortilla seam side down on your baking sheet. Spray rolled tortillas with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with salt.
5. Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown and tortillas are crispy. Serve with ranch and/or BBQ sauce for serving.