Monday, January 2, 2012

Zucchini Oven Chips


I'm sure a lot of you have resolved to eat better and healthier this year. I think it's something we should all strive for to a certain extent...I guess I just fall more into the "everything in moderation" category. This year, I plan to keep cooking the way I cook as far as dinner goes, but to eat healthier for breakfast and lunch. Too often I fall prey to the work cafeteria, and although they have plenty of healthy options there, I rarely choose them. That's what I want to change this year. That'll free me up for the occasional dinner indulgence!

That being said...I feel like I owe you a "healthy" recipe today. When I went through the list of recipes that I haven't shared yet, this one was just about the healthiest I could find. And not only are these zucchini oven chips healthy...they're delicious too. Even my kids thought so! Apparently the word "chips" has magical properties for them, and can turn even the most disdained of vegetables into something they enjoy. Who knew? Maybe next I'll try "cauliflower chips" for Andrew, and "green bean chips" for Will!

The thing with these is that they seem to get cold really quickly. And when they get cold, they get soggy and mushy. So just be sure you serve them right away. Served warm, they're flavorful and delicious -- and just like more traditional potato chips, I bet you can't eat just one!

Tomorrow I'll share the (not-so-healthy but incredibly yummy) sloppy joes I served these with.

Zucchini Oven Chips
slightly adapted from MyRecipes

1/4 cup dry Italian-style breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons 2% milk
2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds (2 small zucchini)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. 

3. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. 

4. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

No comments: