Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fruit Pizza Cookies


We went to my husband's aunt's house for a cook-out for Mother's Day last month, and among the spread of delicious food she served were these adorable little fruit pizzas -- made with slice-and-bake sugar cookies and topped with a lemony cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit. I ate way more of them than I should have, and for the past month I haven't been able to get them out of my mind. I was just looking for an excuse to make them myself, and the Fourth of July seemed like the perfect opportunity. I didn't have a recipe for the frosting, so I just winged it, and it turned out perfectly.


These individual fruit pizzas couldn't be easier to make. They use slice-and-bake sugar cookies, and the cream cheese frosting comes together in minutes. And oh, they're so good. The crispy cookie, the creamy frosting, and the sweet fresh fruit come together to make a treat with the perfect balance of flavors and textures. You can use whatever combination of fruits you'd like -- Joe's aunt used strawberries and kiwi, and I used strawberries and blueberries to make these patriotic for the Fourth of July. Mandarin oranges would also be delicious in combination with blueberries or raspberries. The possibilities are endless.

If you're looking for a quick, refreshing treat for the Fourth of July, I think you'll love these fruit pizza cookies!


Fruit Pizza Cookies

1 package refrigerated slice-and-bake sugar cookies
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Fresh fruit of choice

1. Bake and cool cookies according to package directions (I let mine go a little longer than suggested because I like them crispy).

2. While cookies are baking, mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice and set aside until ready to use.

3. To assemble the pizzas, spread about a tablespoon of frosting on each cookie and top with fruit. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

Allison said...

Can you hear my tummy growling?

Natalie said...

I absolutely love this idea!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Even I could make this.

Avril said...

Absolutely adorable...and yummy....such a brilliant idea! LOVE it! Yes, just LOVE it! :-)

Adriane said...

Made these yesterday and they were a huge hit!!