Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Orange Dreamsicle Smoothies


It’s pretty ironic that I’m sharing this refreshing summery smoothie with you today, since the weather set records this week for being the coldest on record for May in Ohio. We’ve been dealing with temperatures in the 40s all week, and I’m craving sunshine and warm weather like you wouldn’t believe.

I actually made these smoothies back in the beginning of April, when our part of the state was experiencing record high temperatures (Ohio weather is so weird and frustrating sometimes). They were such a refreshing treat for us after an afternoon spent outside playing and doing yard work. They taste exactly like dreamsicles – sweet, tangy, creamy and cool. I’ll be making these smoothies for us a lot!

Orange Dreamsicle Smoothies
adapted from Taste of Home

1 cup milk
1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, undrained
1 6-ounce container orange yogurt
Ice cubes
Sweetened whipped cream

In a blender, combine the milk, oranges, and yogurt until well-blended. Add ice cubes until you reach desired slushiness (we like ours pretty frosty). Pour into glasses and top each glass with a dollop of whipped cream.

Print

8 comments:

Tammy said...

I know what ya mean about crazy weather! Kansas weather is SO crazy! and we are experiencing low temps and its making me crave warm weather...so this smoothie sounds perfect and my kids will love it! Too bad we aren't neighbors, we could enjoy our sunny smoothies in this dreary weather together! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Ca said...

Yum! This recipe and the buffalo chicken tacos you posted yesterday are making me so incredibly hungry! Dreamsicles are a favorite of mine, so I will definitely have to make these. Plus, Gabbie is totally into milkshakes and other frozen confections these days. Poor Sophie looks jealous every time we are eating anything, but especially ice cream and similar treats. She can't wait to be big enough to eat!

Allison said...

Wow! That is actually healthy (or could be if I can find light orange yogurt), unlike quite a few of the recipes you post ;) We'll definitely make these this summer! I would serve these to E without thinking twice and you know how picky I am with the sugar and stuff with her.

Ricki said...

I love Dreamsicles! This sounds so good!

Faith said...

Om nom nom!!! Dreamsicles are the best!!! I just love fun smoothies!

Natalie said...

LOVE the sound of these!

Tessa said...

Like an orange julius but actually healthy for you. Love the idea. Hope your weather improves!

Debbie said...

We have had rain and storms here all week. Enough already - I want some sunshine! Your creamsicle float looks exactly like sunshine - bright and delicious!