Thursday, May 12, 2011
Dirt Cake in a Dump Truck
Well hi there! Sorry for disappearing for the better part of a week – I took some time off from work and blogging to celebrate Andrew’s third birthday and Mother’s Day. I also spent a good bit of time relaxing and pampering myself, because I figure I deserve it, and I don’t do it nearly enough! :)
My oldest sweet boy turned three on Tuesday, as I mentioned, and I knew exactly what kind of cake I’d be making for him. I’d had this idea from The Sisters’ Café in the back of my mind ever since I saw it, and I couldn’t wait for Andrew’s birthday so I had an opportunity to make it. Andrew loves trucks more than almost anything, and I just knew he’d love this. He did!
The actual cake was a chocolate dirt cake, topped with the traditional gummy worms. Both the cake and its presentation were very well received by the birthday boy and our guests!
inspired by The Sisters’ Café and adapted from Allrecipes
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 3.5-ounce packages instant chocolate pudding mix (I used 1 package of milk chocolate and 1 package of dark chocolate fudge)
3 1/2 cups milk
1 12-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
32 ounces chocolate sandwich cookies with chocolate crème filling
1. Chop cookies very fine in food processor.
2. Mix butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix milk, pudding, and whipped topping together.
4. Combine pudding mixture and cream mixture together.
5. Layer in your chosen dish, starting with cookies then cream mixture. Repeat layers.
6. Chill until ready to serve.