Thursday, June 21, 2012

Greek Meatball Lettuce Wraps


More and more, I’m loving lettuce as a replacement for bread and/or tortillas. I love that something like the lettuce wrap, which used to be so decidedly Asian in nature, has expanded to other cuisines as well. In this version, Greek-flavored meatballs are placed inside romaine lettuce leaves and smothered in tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, and feta. Yes, they are as delicious as they sound!

I made my meatballs pretty small, so I thought romaine was the perfect vehicle for them (I love the crunch of it). But if you make your meatballs bigger, romaine may not be hearty enough. I’d imagine you could use any type of lettuce for these and have similarly delicious results. The boys popped the meatballs like candy, which left me wishing I’d doubled the recipe. You could use ground turkey or chicken to make these even healthier. I served the lettuce wraps alongside Greek quinoa, and this lighter, Mediterranean dinner really hit the spot!

Greek Meatball Lettuce Wraps
adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen

1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, grated
1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
Romaine hearts
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Feta cheese

1. Place the beef in a medium bowl. Add the grated onion and all of the spices. Using a tablespoon-sized measuring spoon, scoop out the meat to form meatballs.

2. Heat a frying pan with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning often, until they’re well browned and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

3. Separate the romaine hearts, setting aside the biggest leaves to use for the lettuce wraps. Put four meatballs into each lettuce cup. Top with tzatziki sauce, cherry tomatoes, and feta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, theses look incredible! i love lettuce wraps! yum!