Wednesday, December 1, 2010

BBQ Beef Shepherd's Pie

Wow, I really can’t believe it’s December already. This year has gone by so fast! I’m kicking off the month with a really awesome recipe -- and, unlike yesterday’s sesame chicken, it comes highly recommended by my entire family, especially my husband!

There are some dishes that I see and think, “Why didn’t I think of that?” Some examples that come to mind are bacon guacamole and spinach and artichoke mac and cheese, and now, this barbecue beef shepherd’s pie. This is truly something special. Ground beef is mixed with corn, chile peppers, and barbecue sauce, and topped with mashed potatoes that have been doctored up with cheese, ranch dressing, green onions, and bacon. And it’s made right in a skillet -- no oven baking required -- and comes together in less than half an hour. It’s a comforting, indulgent meal for the cold winter days that are about to be upon us!

BBQ Beef Shepherd’s Pie
adapted from Betty Crocker

1 pound lean ground beef
1 (11-ounce) can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
1 cup barbecue sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, unpeeled
Butter and milk for mashing potatoes
1/4 cup sliced green onions (about 4)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon ranch dressing
4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled

1. Cook ground beef in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain well. Stir in corn, chilies, and barbecue sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low to keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, cook potatoes to fork-tender in boiling water. Drain and mash to desired consistency with salt, pepper, butter and milk. Stir in green onions, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, and bacon.

3. Spoon beef mixture into bowls and top with mashed potatoes. Serve.

Print

7 comments:

Monica H said...

I've never heard of making a BBQ version, but why not? I'm intrigued! And I love that it only takes 39 minutes.

Unknown said...

this looks so yummy to me and if my unmeat and potatoes husband would not like it but i might just have to make it anyway! i mean i am from KC, i have to try all things bbq right! haha

Natalie said...

yum! last year I made sweet potato shepherds pie with ground turkey and we LOVED it!

Peggy said...

Never would have thought to do a BBQ version of shepherds pie! It's genius!

MaryBeth said...

How darn comforting is this supper? It sounds oh so delish! I love the BBQ version, great job!

Desi said...

Another one to add to my must-try list! This sounds super good, and cheesy bacony ranch mashed potatoes too?! I feel like this will be on next week's menu plan!

Desi said...

Hey Cassie! I just wanted you to know that I blogged about this AMAZING recipe over at my blog. I linked back to you of course and raved about your always-delicious recipes. Check out my post if you like, just had to give you a shout out! Your food always amazes me :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/06/cassies-bbq-beef-shepherds-pie.html

Hope you and your family are doing well!