Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ultimate Creamed Corn

I'm not going to lie: I love creamed corn out of the can. Warmed up with a little bit of butter, some salt, and a generous sprinkling of pepper, it makes me a very happy girl. I have definitely been known to indulge.

But last summer, I was browsing through cookbooks and found a recipe for homemade creamed corn that sounded too good not to try. (It contained cream cheese. You know how much I love that stuff. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.) I did some tweaking to the recipe, and this has been our family's favorite creamed corn recipe ever since. I made it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and everyone commented on how delicious it was. It's impossibly rich and creamy and buttery and it makes a perfect, decadent side dish for any home-cooked meal. I'm sorry for keeping this one from you for so long!

Ultimate Creamed Corn
source: adapted from Betty Crocker's Annual Recipes 2009

1 16-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Green onions, thinly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Pour corn into an ungreased baking dish. Top with dollops of cream cheese.

3. Combine milk, butter, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over corn and cream cheese.

4. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until corn is creamy and heated through. Top with sliced green onions, if desired.

3 comments:

Lisa K said...

This is similar to the recipe I use. I don't add green onions though. One time I added bacon and that was super good!

Keri said...

Oh, this sounds soooo good. I'm a sucker for cream cheese, too:-)!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

The cream cheese has to make it the best. Just ran it off and hope to make it soon.