Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekly Meal Planning


I'm cooking out of my cookbooks again this week -- well, for the most part. About half of this week's recipes are coming from my cookbooks, and that's good enough for me. For now. I will start getting more frantic about it as the end of the year approaches, just you wait and see.

There's a new addition to my meal plan this week -- a weekend breakfast category. For a while now Joe has been lamenting the fact that I never make him breakfast anymore, why don't I ever make him breakfast, he loves it when I make breakfast, whine whine whine. So I've promised him that I'll make a big family breakfast for us either Saturday or Sunday morning, depending on if we're going to church. I think this will be a nice tradition for our kids to grow up with, too. And given my strong love of breakfast food, I'm happy to do it.

Guess what this week's craving is? If you said "pesto," you'd be absolutely correct. I can't get enough of the stuff lately. (I may have eaten a spoonful straight from the jar last night. That's not a confession necessarily, I'm just saying: I may have done that.)

Monday -- Soup or Salad: Chorizo chicken spinach soup with roasted red pepper and manchego toasts. Rachael Ray calls this a "stoup," but I think that is a stupid (ha) made-up word and I refuse to use it. I am definitely excited to try this recipe, though, because every single word in the title makes my mouth water. Even though I was excited to try this, I didn't make it this week. The weather was beautiful Monday evening and I wanted to maximize our playing outside time with Andrew, so I opted for quick, no-cook chicken tender tortilla wraps and potato chips.

Tuesday -- Pasta: Chicken fajita pasta

Wednesday -- Grilling: Prosciutto pork kebabs, pesto macaroni salad (my own recipe, which I'm very excited to share with you)

Thursday -- Quick and Easy: Peach and bacon panini, pita chips Joe had his final softball game (the "tournament" round), so he wasn't home for dinner. He picked up some fast food on his way home -- not the healthiest choice, but it definitely fit the quick and easy requirement!

Friday -- Burgers and Fries: Buffalo chicken burgers (inspired by this recipe), ranch-style cole slaw with bacon (which I will probably pile right on top of my burger, because that's just who I am)

Saturday -- Regional or International: Tuscan-style grilled chicken sandwiches, leftover macaroni salad. I told you we'd be having these sandwiches again soon. Look for them on the menu probably, oh, every other week or so. THEY ARE THAT GOOD. Have you tried them yet?

Sunday -- Comfort Food: Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions, baked zucchini fries with tomato coulis dipping sauce (we'll use the sauce for the sandwiches, too)

Weekend Breakfast: Provolone, pesto, and prosciutto quiche, fresh fruit

Baking: Snickers cookies, FINALLY. I've been dying to try these for a long time, pretty much ever since Donna posted her recipe. I'm also making mini chocolate chip cookie pies, because chocolate chip cookies are my new crack and Jessie's recipe sounds too simple and delicious to resist. Clearly I am taking advantage of the fact that I am pregnant and can eat as much as I want -- within reason, of course.

No comments: