Monday, January 4, 2010

Open-Faced Hamburger Cheesesteaks

Well, this meal was quite a hit in our house, especially with my husband, who ate more during dinner the night we had this than most people eat in a day. And even I have to admit that I was surprised by how good these were. They were so quick and easy, and really hearty and yummy to boot. I was skeptical about the creamy Italian dressing, but it just worked. Philly cheesesteak purists, scoff if you must, but let me assure you: These are by no means traditional, but they're no less delicious for it.

Open-Faced Hamburger Cheesesteaks
source: adapted from Pillsbury Annual Recipes 2008; original recipe here

1 pound ground beef
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
1 small can of mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup creamy Italian dressing
1 loaf sourdough bread, halved lengthwise and cut into 6 total slices
6 slices thinly sliced provolone cheese, halved

1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef, bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Add Worcestershire sauce and stir in 1/4 cup of the dressing.

2. Meanwhile, spread remaining 1/4 cup dressing on cut sides of bread. Place slices, cut sides up, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove bread from broiler. Spread beef mixture on cut slices of bread. Top with cheese.

3. Return to broiler; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Cassie. This sounds great, I love the cheesy goodness, the veggies and the crispy bread combo!!

Mrs. Ca said...

These look fantastic! In fact, I want one right now. It's only been 4 days meat free and I'm dying for a cheeseburger. These might have to be on my February 1 menu.

Debbie said...

Oh that sounds and looks good! My husband would love this. Hope you have a very happy and healthy new year!

Karine said...

These look indeed delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Deb Léger said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog and love it! Your baby is beautiful!! I made these Open-Faced Hamburger Cheesesteaks and they were fantastic. All four of us loved them!

Jeffrey and Juli said...

These look yummy, and remind me of a trip to Wildwood, New Jersey that I took YEARS ago. Will definitely put on the "Must Cook Soon" list!

Juli