Since I have now made this dish three separate times, all three times to rave reviews and multiple requests for the recipe, I figured it's high time that I share it with you. This is one of those recipes that everyone needs in their lives.
Basically, it's corn, bacon, and cheddar cheese, all bubbling together in a creamy sour cream sauce. It's perfectly seasoned and incredibly flavorful, with the sweet corn balancing out the smoky-salty bacon perfectly. And it's so easy to prepare, and can be served warm or at room temperature, which makes it perfect for cook-outs this summer. In fact, I think it's replaced broccoli salad as my go-to dish for family get-togethers. And that's really saying a lot, because my family is nuts over that broccoli salad. They may be even more nuts over this corn.
Corn Bacon Cheddar Bake
adapted from Taste and Tell
8 slices bacon, chopped
1 small red or white onion, chopped (I've made it with both, and think I prefer it with red onion)
2 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups freshly-shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 package frozen corn
Chopped chives or scallions for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy; using a slotted spoon, remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
3. Add the onion to the bacon drippings and cook until softened. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the flour until completely absorbed. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in the sour cream and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in the corn and half of the bacon.
5. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and the rest of the bacon. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until heated through. Sprinkle with chopped chives or scallions before serving.