Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Asian Noodle Bowls with Fried Eggs


Let me just get this out of the way: The main component of this dish is packaged ramen noodles.

Wait! Come back! Would it make you feel better if I told you that the first thing I do when I make these noodle bowls is throw away the high-sodium, artificially-flavored seasoning packet? Because it is the first thing I do. I replace the packet with fresh garlic and freshly-grated ginger, and I cook the noodles in chicken stock. There...will you at least hear me out now?

We all have those nights when: a.) we’re too busy to cook an involved dinner; b.) the meal we planned to make just doesn’t sound good; c.) we just really don’t feel like cooking; or d.) all of the above. This meal is perfect for a night like that. It’s literally ready in five minutes, and it tastes absolutely delicious. The ramen noodles cook in the yummy combination I mentioned above, and then each bowl is topped with a fried egg, green onions, and generous drizzles of sriracha and soy sauce. The add-ins for the noodles are endless: red bell peppers, sugarsnap peas, shredded cabbage or bok choy, mushrooms...the list goes on and on. The velvety egg yolk coats the noodles and turns into this lovely sauce, and the sriracha adds such wonderful heat.

I know it sounds weird, but just trust me on this one, guys. You’ll love these.

Asian Noodle Bowls with Fried Eggs

2 packages of ramen noodles (any flavor, the seasoning is getting tossed anyway)
1 teaspoon vegetable or peanut oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon freshly-grated ginger
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
4 eggs, cooked to desired doneness
Green onions
Soy sauce
Sriracha

1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and fresh ginger; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, raise heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the ramen (discard the seasoning packet) and cook, stirring occasionally, until done (about 3 minutes).

2. Meanwhile, cook the eggs to desired doneness.

3. Add ramen to a bowl (with as much or as little liquid as you like). Top each bowl with an egg, a sprinkling of green onions, and soy sauce and sriracha to taste.

2 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

You had me craving ramen so hard the day you instagrammed this. I made a rice bowl with an egg and sriracha on top but it just wasn't the time. I definitely have ramen in the pantry now! Making one of these for lunch!

Gina, A Hungry Teacher said...

Such a cool recipe! I love it!