Monday, March 12, 2012

Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps


This is one of those ideas I stumbled upon on Pinterest, but when it came time to make these for dinner, I couldn’t find the pin. Either I never actually pinned it, or it’s lost among all of my other food-related pins. The second option is the most likely one, as I like to pin All The Things. My name is Cassie, and I’m a Pinterest addict.

Anyway, I sort of did my own thing with these. Lettuce leaves are such a great, healthy vehicle for all types of things, way beyond Asian-style chicken, and I loved the idea of a cheeseburger lettuce wrap. I used all the things I’d typically put on a cheeseburger – onions, tomatoes, pickles, a good bit of cheese – and wrapped it all up in lettuce rather than piling it on a bun. You can obviously customize these any way you’d like, using your favorite hamburger toppings. I drizzled ours with Thousand Island dressing, which we all loved. Delicious, simple, and pretty fun to eat, too.

With potato chips on the side, this dinner came together really fast, and it’s definitely something I’ll make again.

Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps

1 pound ground sirloin (I wouldn’t do ground chuck for this; you want something less fatty)
Salt and pepper to taste
Montreal steak seasoning to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Lettuce leaves
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pickles
Thousand Island dressing for serving, if desired

1. In a large skillet, heat a small amount of oil over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and season with salt, pepper, and steak seasoning. When the beef’s about halfway cooked, add the onion. Continue cooking until onion is softened and beef is fully cooked. Drain any excess fat from the beef and return to pan.

2. Stir in diced tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes while you prepare the lettuce leaves.

3. Spoon a portion of the beef mixture into a lettuce leaf. Top with a generous helping of shredded cheese, pickles, and Thousand Island dressing, if using.

3 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

Yum! It reminds me of PW's cheeseburger salad, which is one of my favorite things on earth. I'm now kicking myself for not putting it on my menu this week. Mmmmm....cheeseburgers....

May said...

love it :)
it makes me hungry, i super like cheese specially when its overflowing :)

Jovy said...

simply recipe! my kids will surely love this for sure, they always request me a burger. i'll give them what they want but no bread on it hihi.