Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Baked Bean Chili

I know what you’re thinking: She’s posting a chili recipe? In June? And yes, I know it’s not exactly chili weather, but don’t click away just yet, because this particular chili? It has baked beans in it. And to me, baked beans are a quintessentially summer food. Therefore, it’s okay to make and eat this chili in the warmer months. And you definitely should make it, because it’s totally delicious and couldn't be easier.

I was intrigued by the use of baked beans in this chili, and attracted to the fact that they would make this come together in no time. After all, baked beans already have a really thick sauce and tons of flavor on their own, so they’re perfect for chili. I can’t believe I never thought of that before! They add a really nice sweetness to the chili that balances the heat perfectly. I changed the recipe up quite a bit, so my adapted version is below.

We all really liked this, even Andrew, who had two bowls. I have to admit that it’s nowhere near as good as my classic chili recipe, but it’s delicious and quick, and on the hot summer nights that are about to hit us you just can’t beat that.

Baked Bean Chili
source: adapted from Taste of Home

1 pound ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
1 envelope chili seasoning
1 28-ounce can baked beans (I used the kind with extra bacon and brown sugar)
1 28-ounce can tomato sauce

1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain.

2. Return beef to pot along with bell pepper and onion (with a small amount of olive oil, if needed). Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until vegetables are softened. Add garlic; cook and stir constantly for 30 seconds.

3. Stir in chili seasoning, baked beans, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I've never made chili with baked beans. It sounds so easy and delicous. Sounds like something my family would enjoy. Thanks for sharing :)

Deborah said...

I'm one who will eat chili or soup anytime of year. How interesting - I've never seen this done before!

Anonymous said...

How could you do this in a crockpot? Also, how much does this make? I need to make 2 gallons!