Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here the weather has been absolutely beautiful lately. We've had temperatures in the mid-70's during the day, and in the 50's at night. It's such a welcome change from a typical hot and humid Ohio July, and we've been enjoying it to the fullest and spending a lot of time outside.

I threw this soup together very quickly last night, then let it simmer on the stove while Joe and I played outside with Andrew. I've been wanting to make tortilla soup at home for a while now. I became addicted to it when they started serving it at our cafeteria at work, and when they took it off the menu I was incredibly disappointed. But now I can make it myself anytime I want with this delicious recipe! This is some seriously delicious soup -- spicy, but not too spicy, and incredibly flavorful. Tortilla soup just isn't tortilla soup to me without homemade fried tortilla strips, so I sliced up a couple of flour tortillas and shallow-fried them until they were crispy. Along with the sour cream, they were the perfect topping for this soup. I'll definitely be making this one again, and I’m going to freeze a huge portion of it when I start making freezer meals before the new baby comes. You should definitely try this one; I don't think you'll be disappointed!


Chicken Tortilla Soup
source: adapted from Allrecipes

1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5-ounce can chili-style diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 4-ounce can chopped green chile peppers
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (I used the legs and breasts of a rotisserie chicken)
Optional toppings for serving: shredded cheese, tortilla strips, sliced avocado, sour cream

1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

2. Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with desired toppings.

5 comments:

Allison said...

I was just talking to my friend a little bit ago about how I'd like to make some good taco or tortilla soup! Yours looks delish! Soup is such a comfort food..mmmm.

chow and chatter said...

wow this soup looks awesome like your blog Rebecca

Allison said...

You really shouldn't be scared about baking yeast breads. The first few times for me were rough. It didn't click with me all the things that were supposed to happen or the proper way to do certain things. If you start to try it, and want some help- I'd be glad to try and help! =)

thompson695@bellsouth.net

Donna-FFW said...

Cassie.. this sounds wonderful. All recipes has some great stuff!!

Marika said...

I just made this soup tonight (complete with fried tortilla strips) and I loved it! I had to make a few substitutions since not all the ingredients are easy to find where I live, but it still came out just as you described-- flavorful with a nice kick. Thanks!