Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mini Corn and Pepper Cakes

Last night was Joe's night off, which means only one thing around our house in the summer months: Time to fire up the grill. Joe makes the best steak I have ever had, I think mostly because of his ultra-secret rub recipe that he won't share even with me, and last night was no exception. I found a couple of gorgeous T-bones at our local butcher's, which he grilled to juicy, delicious, smoky perfection. He also grilled a bunch of asparagus, which I prepared with salt, pepper and brown sugar (thank you, Jessie, for the brown sugar inspiration) and slathered with olive oil.

For my part, I made these delicious mini corn and pepper cakes. I thought they'd be a nice alternative to some kind of potato, and they took no time at all to prepare. They were so good! They'd probably be even better with a little bit of shredded cheese mixed in. I halved the recipe, which gave us 10 cakes, and we ate all of them. This was truly one of the best meals we've had for a long time.

I've listed the full recipe for you here. These little corn cakes would be perfect for a backyard barbecue!



Mini Corn and Pepper Cakes
Source: adapted from Betty Crocker Country Favorites

2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, separated
1 small bell pepper, any color, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Beat flour, milk, sugar, salt, pepper and egg yolks in medium bowl. Stir in corn and bell pepper.

2. Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy. Fold corn mixture into egg whites.

3. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet. Drop corn mixture by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry about 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

6 comments:

Sonya said...

These look great! Is there a specific reasoning for using thawed frozen corn? The reason I ask is that here in the netherlands you can't buy frozen corn..strange I know but I have never seen it in the 2 years of living here.

Cassie said...

Actually, the original recipe called for fresh corn on the cob, which sounds perfect for you! I just used frozen since I had it on hand. The idea is just to have two cups total of corn kernels.

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a tasty sounding appy! I love the idea of the little corn cakes!

Sonya said...

Thanks for the tip! Im going to make these this weekend:)

Mrs. Ca said...

Those look and sound delicious, and I'm thinking I may even get Gabbie to eat them. Did Andrew try them?

Cassie said...

Actually, Jessie, Andrew ate 2 of them! The recipe made 10 little cakes total. Joe had 5, I had 3, and Andrew had the last 2. He LOVED them.