Thursday, June 11, 2009

Brownie Pudding Cake

Hey, um, hi there. Remember me? I'm the girl who hasn't posted in A WEEK AND A HALF. Let me assure you that I'm still alive and well and eating; I just haven't been eating anything exactly blogworthy (unless you call Velveeta shells and cheese mixed with ground beef and salsa blogworthy? …No? Okay. Moving on.).

Yesterday Sara posted a recipe for her family's brownie pudding cake, and I left her a comment telling her I was going to make it immediately. And I got home from work last night, and that's exactly what I did.

Everything about this cake is just fantastic. Not only does it taste absolutely amazing, but it couldn't be simpler to prepare. It doesn't even require a mixer, and the ingredients are ones that I think most people already have on hand. It's a magic dessert, too, what with the way the pudding layer starts on top and ends up on the bottom.

I'm so glad Sara shared this dessert. It's decadent and delicious and so easy, and I'm pretty sure it's going to become a favorite in our family pretty quickly!

Brownie Pudding Cake
Source: Sara's Kitchen

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cups boiling water
Powdered sugar, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch square baking dish or round souffle dish. Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and 1/3 cup cocoa in medium bowl. Add milk, butter and vanilla, stir until just blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared dish.

2. Combine brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour boiling water over entire mixture; do not stir.

3. Bake 35 to 38 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the top layer comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I'm glad you liked it! I think my favorite part is that it doesn't require any special ingredients, just stuff that's always in my pantry. I can't tell you how many times I've whipped this up on a whim :)

Creative Classroom Core said...

This is one tasty looking dish! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I need to make this. Pronto!
I have nephews coming over all weekend and I think this is the perfect thing to hop them up on before I send them home!

Donna-FFW said...

OK, between you ad Sara I know this is a MUST try! Just look at the picture. OMG!

Anonymous said...

So my 7 year old nephew and I made this the other night. He's a food critic:

"It's pretty sloppy, but that's not your fault Aunt Patty. Can we make real brownies next time?"

me:"well it's like brownies with pudding mixed together!"
him: "Uhh...how about you stop cooking now Aunt Patty. Your food is too sloppy for me."

Cassie said...

Patty, that's hilarious!! It definitely is sloppy, that's for sure. But so, so good. Did he have anything to say about the flavor?