Friday, May 1, 2009

Cheesy Pineapple Corn Bread

This corn bread, which I served with the pineapple chili we had recently, is the first corn bread I've ever made. And to be completely honest, before I made this I wasn't a really big fan of corn bread, simply because all the corn bread I'd ever tasted was so dry. But I'm happy to say that after trying this, I'm a convert.

This is seriously the best corn bread I've ever had. The pineapple keeps it so moist, and its flavor isn't overpowering, but instead is the perfect compliment to the cheese in the bread. This went perfectly with our chili, but it's good on its own, too -- warmed up and spread with some butter for breakfast (which is how I ate it this morning). Seriously, so delicious. I can't say enough good things about it. Find an excuse to make it right now.

Cheesy Pineapple Corn Bread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softenend
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can cream-style corn
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (I used a cheddar-Jack blend)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.

2. In medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.

3. In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture on low speed just until combined. Stir in corn, drained pineapple, and cheese. Sppon batter into prepared dish.

4. Bake about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cut in squares. Serve warm.

No comments: