Friday, October 3, 2008

Pumpkin Pasta

Let me just get this out in the open: I sort of have a love/hate relationship with Rachael Ray. I TiVo 30 Minute Meals and I subscribe to her magazine, but her talk show? It's a little much for me. It's too much...Rachael for me to handle.

I haven't tried too many of her recipes in my own kitchen, and I'm not exactly sure why. They always look and sound good, especially her burgers!

Anyway, I saw this recipe in her magazine, and it looked so delicious and fall-y that I knew I had to try it. I have to say that I wasn't blown away by this, but my husband really liked it. I'm glad I added bacon to it; otherwise, I think it would be way too bland for my tastes. I think some sage would have been good in here, too, but I didn't have any fresh and apparently I'm out of dried. My changes are in purple.


Penne with Pumpkin Cream Sauce
Source: Every Day with Rachael Ray, October 2008

1 pound penne pasta
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper
One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (omitted)

1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.

2. Fry bacon until crisy in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Place on paper towels to drain and discard bacon grease. In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add the cooking water and toss sauce with pasta. Stir in the parmesan; season with salt and pepper.

3. Top the pasta with the parsley (if using), the bacon and more parmesan.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

My husband would love this, he is a pumpkin lover!