Friday, January 13, 2012

Artichoke-Crusted Chicken


Oh man, you guys, it has been a DAY. Seriously. The short version is this: During a treacherous drive to work this morning in the snow, my windshield wipers quit working. On the salty, icy roads, with the wind blowing hard and other cars spraying their slush onto my windshield. Needless to say, I did not try to drive the rest of the way to work. Luckily this happened right by a fast food restaurant, so I was able to nurse a cup of coffee while I waited for Joe to arrive to trade cars with me. My knight in shining armor a gray Impala.

My morning’s adventures have put me in a Mood. Not only do I now have the windshield wipers to deal with, there is also the fact that for a couple of weeks now, the heat in my car hasn’t been blowing on high. Oh, it blows hot air all right, but it blows it in puffs. These two factors, plus the fact that I need new tires, have had me stewing all day. Stupid car. Stupid Ohio winter.

On days like this, the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook an involved dinner that generates lots of dishes. On days like this, I want something quick and low-maintenance so I can just put on my comfy clothes, curl up on the couch with my family, and not think about anything, especially potentially expensive car repairs. This chicken dish would be perfect for a night like tonight. It’s ready in minutes, it’s simple without being boring, and it tastes so good. Joe, in particular, really liked this. It basically tastes like artichoke dip on top of chicken – there’s nothing not to love.

So yes, this would be the perfect thing to make on a night like tonight...but I’m not making it tonight. Instead, I’m throwing up my hands and ordering Chinese take-out. Don’t judge me.

Artichoke-Crusted Chicken
adapted from Sugarlaws

4 6-ounce chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2/3 cup grated Swiss cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Salt and pepper the chicken and then sauté each chicken breast in a skillet over medium-high heat, for about 8 to 10 minutes, flipping once, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Set aside.

2. Mix together the mayonnaise, artichoke hearts and Swiss cheese until evenly distributed. Spread the mixture over the chicken breasts, and then broil for about 3 minutes, watching them to be sure they don’t burn. When the cheese is melted and bubbling and the tops are golden, remove and serve.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Nice thought on the Chinese takeout. Sounds like a great idea for a day like this (which SUCKS!). Stupid Friday the 13th. Stupid snow. Stupid car.

I'll be letting my lovely husband do most of the cooking tonight, as we're having brinner. Pancakes, potato cakes, turkey bacon, and strawberries...perfect Friday night meal for me!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I wish my husband liked artichokes because I'd be ALL over this recipe.

Abby said...

Friday was HORRIBLE for me. I was so glad to get home. But no bad weather here, so I feel for you.

I hesitated at the artichoke hearts yesterday in the store. I should have bought some!

Leigh said...

Yum. Gray hates Artichokes which means I will have to make this for girls night! looks delish!