Monday, November 14, 2011

Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Salsa Verde


Some recipes I see and I automatically think to myself, “Yep. Making that.” That happens to me a lot when I visit Sarah’s blog. She posts the most fantastic recipes, and these baked chimichangas are no exception. It took me a while to make them (and even longer to post the recipe!), but I’m so glad I did, because they were delicious.

Because the chicken cooks in the Crock pot, these are perfect for a weeknight meal. With 10 minutes of assembly and 20 minutes in the oven, dinner’s ready in half an hour. I thought the creamy sauce was the perfect complement to the crispy chimichangas. This meal has spice, it has texture, it has tons of flavor…It’s just so very good.

Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Salsa Verde
adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking

For the chimichangas:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 burrito (large) size tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
Sour cream, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, cilantro to garnish

For the creamy salsa verde:

1 16-ounce jar salsa verde
1 cup sour cream
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon honey

1. Add chicken to Crock pot. Combine diced tomatoes, spices and cornstarch in a small bowl. Pour over chicken and cook on low until chicken is cooked through. Shred meat with two forks.

2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spary a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Combine the shredded chicken mixture with the cheese. Lay out the tortillas and top each with 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Roll up the tortillas burrito style, tucking the ends in, and place them seam side down on the cookie sheet. Spray the top of the chimichangas with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, combine the salsa verde, sour cream, honey and lime juice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over gentle heat until warmed through.

4. Serve the sauce on top of the chimichangas. Garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, shredded lettuce and cilantro, if desired.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

These sound awesome, especially with that sauce!!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked these. :)

Desi said...

Looks like a keeper! Cassie, I was wondering what kind of camera you use, because I always love your photos! I;m trying to ask for a dslr camera for Christmas... do you use one, or a basic point and shoot? And how do you get good lighting in the winter months? My photos never turn out as good as yours unless I'm lucky and can take a shot during the day. Any advice on choosing a good camera or dslr, if you use one? I'm not looking to spend more than $600!! Thanks for any help you can give, Cassie :)

Pam the Realtor said...

Cassie, I made this last night and it was another hit! It's very similar to something I make but with hamburger and stew meat. Loved the sauce on top. That was very different.

Dori said...

Hey Cassie, do you happen to remember about how long it took for the two chicken breasts to cook in your crock pot for this Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Salsa Verde recipe? I'd like to try this recipe, but I'm not sure how long to budget time-wise for the chicken breasts . . . Thanks; I love your blog!!!