Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Taco Rice


I first heard about this recipe when my friend Jessie posted about it in one of her weekly meal plans. She mentioned how much she and her husband loved it, and her sentiment was echoed by a bunch of people on Tasty Kitchen, where this recipe was originally posted. I definitely wanted to try it, but I couldn’t help but wonder exactly what it was that people were raving about – what exactly it was that made it so amazing. I mean, it’s taco rice, right? Nothing special.

Except that IT IS. And I think I know what makes it so amazing: It’s the soy sauce. There’s something about the combination of the salty, savory soy sauce with the spicy Mexican seasonings that is just…well, it’s magical. That’s what it is.

I loved the story behind this recipe, too. Apparently a Japanese chef created it for all of the American soldiers stationed in Okinawa in the 1960s. He took the Americans’ love of tacos and combined it with one of the most popular ingredients in Japanese food: rice. And this delicious fusion dish was born.

I promise you will LOVE this one.

Taco Rice

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups steamed (long grain, instant, or sushi) rice (I used instant cooked in chicken broth)
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and queso blanco or shredded mozzarella for topping

1. Heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute until the onions are barely soft. Add the ground beef and break it into small chunks.

2. Once the meat is cooked, add the soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Let this simmer until the liquid reduces.

3. Spread 1/2 to 1 cup of the steamed rice on each plate. Top with the seasoned beef. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and salsa, and finish it off with a dollop of sour cream.

Print

7 comments:

Allison said...

Thank you for recommending this last week! We're using it for our cooking club this week and I made it on Monday--it was yummy!!! We didn't have enough sushi rice, so I made it with basmati and it was just as yummy. Thank you!!

Faith said...

This recipe was awesome. AND it was so easy my husband made it for dinner tonight!!! :)

lyndsayplurodon said...

I kind of wish you had never shared this recipe! Now it's all my boyfriend and I want for dinner! It is so freakin delicious!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I feel like I must have done something wrong because I made this last night and it was just ehh. You know I love your recipes so I'm really confused. The beef was bland. Maybe 3 tablespoons wasn't enough soy? I don't know. :(

notYOURmama said...

I was stationed in Okinawa for years and this dish has become a staple in our home since then!!! So glad you're sharing it with others!

Rebekah said...

I made this tonight...so good! My 3 yr old who is very picky ate a whole taco with the meat in it (I didn't have enough rice). Thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and it was a big hit! I upped the soy sauce by one tbsp and eliminated the extra salt. We had it with lettuce, diced tomato, and cheddar cheese. Really easy and good (and spicy!)