Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Gravy-Baked Pork Chops

How can I describe last night's dinner? It was...it was like my grandma's house: pure comfort, tasting like the best food memories I have. These pork chops were delicious. Like the blurb says, they really did melt in our mouths.

The recipe was a great jumping-off point for these chops. I love that it called for them to be sauteed in butter before baking, because anything sauteed in butter is bound to be good. I seasoned the chops with garlic powder in addition to the salt and pepper, and after I'd cooked off the chops, I added one medium chopped onion to the skillet and let it caramelize in the pan drippings. I also omitted the water from the recipe and used more milk instead. The result: tender pork chops, creamy gravy...a comforting meal, tasting like it was straight out of a country kitchen.

I served this with mashed potatoes my normal way: skins on, with lots of butter, sour cream, milk, cream cheese and salt and pepper. I had some shredded carrots left over from a previous recipe, and I didn't want them to go to waste, so I added them directly to the potatoes and mashed everything up together. Joe was surprised at how good the potatoes were with the carrots in them, but I knew it would be a winning combination (hello, pot roast?). This was a great meal, and a good way to welcome some cooler weather that hopefully is here to stay!

Gravy-Baked Pork Chops
Source: All Recipes

4 (1 1/4 inch thick) pork chops (I used pork loin chops)
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1 tablespoon butter

1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup milk (I used 1 cup)
1/4 cup water (I omitted)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup


1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

2. Season pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the pork chops in the butter for about 5 minutes per side.

3. Add onion to skillet and saute in pan drippings until caramelized.

4. In a separate medium bowl, combine the milk, water and soup. Place the pork chops in a 9x13 inch baking dish, top with onion and pour the soup mixture over the chops.

5. Bake for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made these, but instead of finishing in the oven, I finished them in the crock pot because I had to leave the house - fall off the bone deliciousness - my husband and son couldn't get enough. Thank you for this recipe!